Page Detail

What is food poisoning

What is food poisoningFood poisoning occurs as a result of consuming spoiled food due to microorganisms or bacterial toxins. Typical symptoms for food poisoning are stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting.

 Mild poisonings usually heal on their own within a few days. In severe cases, patients should definitely be treated in the hospital.

What are the causes of food poisoning?
Food poisoning occurs as a result of consuming food contaminated with microorganisms or their toxins. The most important reason for food contamination is insufficient hygiene during its production, transportation, storage or processing. Food poisoning can be considered in three groups.

The most common causative agents of food poisoning are bacterial toxins. Bacterial food poisoning can occur in two ways:
• When foods contaminated with bacterial toxins are consumed, these toxins can cause food poisoning.
• After consuming foods containing bacteria, these bacteria can secrete toxins in the body, which can lead to poisoning.
Among the microorganisms that most commonly lead to bacterial food poisoning are Salmonella, Campylobacter, Escherichia coli and Listeria. These bacteria are transmitted mainly from animal food.

Among the most common causes of Decongestant non-bacterial food poisoning are;
* Poisonous mushrooms
* Parasites
* Heavy metals (arsenic, lead, cadmium)
* Animal toxins are found.
Digestive tract infections due to viruses can also be treated as food poisoning. Doctors are more likely to speak of them in the form of foodborne viral infections. These infections are mainly caused by norovirus, rotavirus, hepatitis A virus and Hepatitis E virus.

What are the symptoms of food poisoning?
Symptoms of food poisoning can be different, depending on the cause. However, almost always there are some initial symptoms that appear. These first symptoms of food poisoning are usually in the form of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. These symptoms begin to appear quickly, usually within a few hours after the bacterial toxin enters the body. However, these symptoms of poisoning usually disappear within a few days. "Staphylococcal toxins” secreted by a bacterium called staphylococcus, which is one of the factors of food poisoning, usually cause discomfort for only one day. At the end of this period, the body is cleansed of toxins and the symptoms disappear.
Food poisoning symptoms are most often not very severe and disappear on their own after a few days, even without treatment. But sometimes there may be a serious poisoning that occurs with serious and obvious signs, such as severe vomiting, severe diarrhea, bloody diarrhea. In the presence of severe symptoms, it is vital to urgently consult a medical institution.

How is food poisoning diagnosed?
The history taken from the patient is extremely important in the diagnosis of food poisoning. The doctor will question the symptoms and complaints seen in the patient and how long they have been going on for. If food poisoning is suspected, he will want to know exactly what foods you have consumed in the hours before the onset of symptoms. Then, examining the patient, he learns about body temperature, blood pressure, pulse and general condition.
The diagnosis of bacterial pathogens, their toxins or other toxins in the blood, serum or feces by laboratory tests is basically possible. But for food poisoning and its diagnosis, laboratory tests are not used very much.
These tests are performed in case of additional treatment needs, for example, when Listeria infection is suspected, which requires antibiotic treatment, the selection of the appropriate antibiotic.

How is food poisoning treated?
In the case of food poisoning, the symptoms usually disappear on their own after a period of 1 to 3 days has elapsed. The body reacts during this time through diarrhea and vomiting, ensuring the excretion of toxins. Since diarrhea and vomiting are associated with electrolyte and fluid loss, the treatment of food poisoning mainly focuses on balancing this loss.
Patients therefore need to drink plenty of fluids. The consumption of mineral water and herbal tea is very beneficial in this respect. A special powdered mixture containing electrolytes needed by the body can be given to the patient by mixing it with water. An equivalent mixture can also be obtained at home by mixing 1 liter of water, 8 wiping tablespoons of granulated sugar and 1 wiping tablespoon of table salt. If the patient cannot take fluids orally, liquid electrolyte support may be required by intravenous route.

We are happy to provide solutions to your health problems.

Make an apointment