In general, priapism, which affects a person extremely negatively by being a painful process, may not occur with sexual arousal. Priapism is a medical emergency and it is useful to see a specialist without neglecting it, because priapism can lead to problems such as impaired sexual function, impotence and penile infection. Priapism, which stands out as a disorder that can be seen in men of any age group, can be seen even in infants. Considering the frequency of occurrence, priapism affects children in the age group of 5-10 years in childhood and individuals in the age group of 20-50 years most often in adulthood.
Priapism, which occurs when there is no back ejaculation with blood collection to the penis, can cause permanent hardening. Therefore, individuals suffering from this ailment should contact a specialist without wasting time and get the necessary treatment.
What are the Types of Priapism?
Priapism is divided into two groups: slow-flowing priapism and high-flowing priapism.
1.) Slow Catarrhal Priapism: Slow catarrhal priapism, the first of the priapism groups, leads to hard and painful hardening. In the case of slow-flowing priapism, the blood flow to and from the penis to the body comes to a complete standstill. If the stiffness that occurs lasts for 6 hours, very serious problems may occur in the tissues. Therefore, in case of such a nuisance, it is necessary to consult a doctor as soon as possible. Otherwise, if the necessary intervention and treatment are not carried out in a timely manner, a discomfort such as permanent erection (erection) may occur.
2.) High Catarrhal Priapism: Another type of priapism, high catarrhal priapism, causes semi-rigid and painless hardening. The cause of the appearance of high catarrhal priapism is most often injuries. The penis, which suffers from high catarrhal priapism, cannot transition to a softening state, although it cannot be fully rigid. The diagnosis of high catarrhal priapism, which is more common in children and young people, is made by physical examination and Color Doppler Ultrasound applications.
What are the Causes of Priapism?
Although there is no definite cause of priapism, there are certain factors that trigger priapism. We can list and explain these factors as follows:
* Sickle Cell Anemia: Cell anemia develops due to conditions such as insufficient levels of oxygen in the environment called, the body needs more oxygen, and water loss in the body. Sickle cell anemias with a blood disease are genetic, but in this case, the shape of red blood cells deteriorates and takes the form of a sickle. Looking at the statistical data, the incidence of priapism in sickle cell patients is 42%.
* Medications: Another of the factors that trigger priapism discomfort are medications. In particular, some medications can negatively affect the nerves located in the body, especially the penis. Under normal circumstances, these negatively affected nerves dilate the arteries responsible for feeding the penis; this condition leads to the penis growing and becoming erect. Factors such as medications used to treat mental illnesses and depression, improperly used medications can cause priapism. Also in this regard, it is necessary to pay attention to non-prescription drugs, in particular; because over-the-counter and harmful to health medications can trigger priapism.
* Injury: Injuries stand out as another trigger among the causes of priapism. Conditions such as penile artery damage and penile injury invite priapism; thus, the blood circulation is interrupted. In addition, the aforementioned injuries are among the most common triggers for non-ischemic priapism.
Apart from these, other causes that can lead to priapism can be listed as follows :
* Trauma to the spinal cord or genital area
* Drug use
* Carbon monoxide poisoning
For some cases, cancer is among the causes of priapism; because the cancer disease seen in such cases prevents blood circulation in the penis. Being aware of all the triggers and causes mentioned will provide protection to potential priapism sufferers. Therefore, it is necessary to learn these triggers and causes thoroughly.
What Are the Diagnostic Methods of Priapism?
In order for a definitive diagnosis of priapism to be made, first of all, it is checked whether there is a long-lasting erection, although there is no sexual stimulation. If ejaculation does not occur as a result of this erection, then an important data has been obtained to make a diagnosis.
For the diagnosis of priapism, the doctor primarily considers the following conditions; whether the erection time is over 6 hours, whether the patient uses drugs, and whether there has been a trauma such as falling on the penis.
Along with the answers he receives from these questions, the doctor, who has the patient's medical history, also performs a physical examination and reaches a definitive conclusion in the diagnosis of priapism.
What Are the Treatment Methods for Priapism?
For the treatment of priapism, the duration of erection is primarily considered. Because if the erection state has lasted longer than 6 hours, it may become impossible to get an efficient result from the treatment. Therefore, early diagnosis is of great importance for individuals suffering from priapism. Priapism treatments performed under general, epidural and spinal anesthesia require the penis to be bandaged at intervals. But in the treatment of priapism, the surgical method is usually preferred, and a shunt is performed between the Decubitus bodies filled with blood with a needle. Thanks to this application, while the penis is being washed, the blood is also drained. If this method does not give results, safeno-cavernous shunt operations are in question.
In general, we can list the priapism treatment methods applied by doctors as follows:
* Surgery: Surgery comes to the fore as the first choice in terms of priapism treatment methods. However, it is also the case in cases where a vascular crack occurs. In such cases, the physician connects the cracked vessels to each other in order to restore blood flow.
* Surgical Shunt: It is the treatment method used in the treatment of slow catarrhal priapism. In this method, a shunt is opened to ensure blood circulation in the penis; thus, it is aimed that the blood circulation reaches a normal level.
* Aspiration: In the aspiration process, which stands out as another priapism treatment method, the penis is anesthetized and the blood in the penis is drained with the help of a needle.
* Intracavernous Injection: It is one of the treatment methods used when it comes to slow catarrhal priapism. While applying this method, alpha agonist is injected into the penis and narrowing of the vessels is achieved. Thus, the blood flow slows down, and in the case of swelling, a noticeable decrease occurs.
* Ice Packs: This is one of the methods applied especially to patients presenting with painful priapism. With this method, the swelling is reduced by applying ice to the penis area of the patients.
If you are complaining of priapism symptoms, contacting a doctor without wasting even a minute will be the best decision to be made in terms of your health. In this condition, early diagnosis and early treatment that will come with it are vital. Because if you neglect or postpone this disease, irreversible damage may occur in your sexual life.
What is penile prosthesis (happiness stick) ?
What is a Penile Prosthesis?
Those who cannot provide normal penile hardness (erection) and other treatment methods (tablets, injections, shock therapy, stem cells, etc.) are materials that provide a close-to-natural and hard penis made of silicone that are placed in the penis in patients who do not benefit.
Penile Prosthesis (Penile Prosthesis), which cannot provide normal penile hardness (erection) and other treatment methods (tablets, injections, shock therapy, stem cells, etc.) are materials that provide a close-to-natural and hard penis made of silicone that are placed in the penis in patients who do not benefit.
What Are the Types of Penis Prostheses?
There are four types of penile prostheses, all of which are made of silicone-containing substances.
1- One-piece bendable
2- Two-piece inflatable
3- Three-piece inflatable (only lengthening to the neck)
4- Three-piece inflatable (extending both transversely and longitudinally)
One-Piece Bendable Penis Prostheses
It is suitable for patients who have poor hand coordination or anatomically have problems with their hands and cannot fully use their hands.
It is placed inside the penis, and the prosthesis is not visible from the outside of the skin.
Hardening is continuous and constant.
It can be stored by curling down from the root of the penis or tilting it towards the abdomen.
When intercourse is to be entered into, it is flattened forward.
The satisfaction rate is low compared to inflatable prostheses.
Two-Piece Inflatable Penis Prostheses
They are prostheses that are closer to natural than one-piece prostheses.
Patient satisfaction and hardening quality are low compared to 3-piece.
Patients can get an erection of their penis at any time.
It is placed inside the penis and no prosthetic material is visible from outside the skin.
Three-Piece Inflatable Penis Prostheses
There are two types of three-piece prostheses; one that extends only longitudinally and one that extends both longitudinally and transversely.
The most natural are prostheses.
Patient and partner satisfaction is quite high, at about 90%.
Patients can get an erection and lower their penis at any time.
There are no visible parts from the outside.
In scientific studies, it has been proven to be the most ideal prosthesis in terms of satisfaction and functionality.
Who is a Candidate for Penis Prosthesis?
Every age group of patients who have serious difficulties at the point of achieving erection by natural means, who have not benefited from medication and other alternative treatments, and who are willing to wear a penile prosthesis are candidates for this surgery.